Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Copyright

Like most students my age, I have heard of Limewire and other music downloading programs. I can honestly say I've never illegally downloaded music off the internet, but that's just because I was too scared of getting caught. Little did I know that my chances of getting caught at home were so slim. I've learned that now that I'm in college, my music downloading activities are being highly monitored. College campuses are so closely watched because four percent of downloading occurs on college campuses and our computers are easily traced. 
When Dr. Graves came to class to speak with us, I actually learned some very useful facts. Did you know that it is a felony to commit a copyright infringement involving more than ten copies and a value of more than $2500? Well, if you didn't, you do now. When it comes to the controversy of illegal music sharing, I'm not too certain where I stand. I absolutely love music and will listen to just about everything. Especially now that I'm in college, I don't have much extra money to spend on all the music I want. With downloading so easily accessible, it's tough to turn down the idea of free music. However, I see it from the other perspective as well. If I were a musician trying to make in the entertainment industry, I wouldn't want people ripping me off either. The $.99 we could pay to get a song can save us thousands of dollars in comparison to what we would pay if caught for copyright infringement. So my advice... pay for your music. And if you really just want to risk getting caught, wait until you're no longer affiliated with any college campus. 

No comments: